In the majority of homes, household pests are commonly infested and they cause harm or nuisance to humans. Some transmit bacterial, fungal, protozoan, or viral infections which cause diseases.
They find their way inside houses through different ways or situations like food leftovers, cracks through the doors or windows, poor environment, crevices, and vulnerable areas like electric fittings and pipelines.
Each household pest has different methods of elimination and control which non-professionals would find a difficult task to take on. But no worries, Ez Bed Bug Exterminator | Pest Control in Baltimore MD is there to help you destroy those pests worrying you with their expertise.
What Are The Top 10 Household Pests?
- Ants: They are found in homes to search for shelter and food for themselves and their colonies. Although ants don’t cause damage to humans, they cause a nuisance that reduces the comfort, beauty, and fun in the house.
Identify different species of ants for proper control. The popular method of eliminating ants is through baits, in which the aim is to wipe out the whole colony.
- Bed bugs: Bed bugs are nocturnal insects that feed on the blood of humans. They cause a lack of concentration and itches that lead to skin infections, allergies, and mental difficulties.
You will find them around crevices, folds, and cracks in your bed, furniture, or fabrics. Vacuuming, sealing cracks, washing bedspread, and inspecting your house helps to manage the bed bugs infestation.
- Beetles: There are different species of beetles. Some bite and others do not, and they have benefits like feeding on other pests who are destructive in the house. The bite from beetles can cause allergies, chronic pain, and skin blisters in humans.
They enter your house through flowers, leaking roofs, and faulty plumbing work. Clean environment, inspection, crack sealing, insect sprays, and traps help to control beetles.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches are nocturnal insects that feed on human food. They are carriers of diseases like cholera and typhoid.
You will find them in dark, moist, and warm environments. They enter your houses through leaking pipes, crevices, exposed food, and dirty places. Traps and baits are also used to control cockroaches’ infestation.
- Fleas: They are insects that feed on blood. Fleas mostly enter the house through cracks and pets and love to stay in the underbellies of pets for easy transfer to the floor or furniture when they lie down.
When they bite, they cause skin itches and irritations and transmit bacterial infections. To prevent or control the fleas in your house, wash all beddings, spray insecticides, and treat those pets infected.
- Rodents: These are also one of the commonest household pests which transmit bacterial and viral infections through contact with the infected rodents. Examples of rodents are mice and rats. You can get rid of them through poisoning and trapping.
- Mosquitoes: Mosquitoes are flying insects that feed on blood. Some species of mosquitoes bite humans but they do not spread germs while others spread them like female anopheles mosquitoes.
Having bushes around, dirty gutters, and a dirty environment attract mosquitoes into houses.
- Termites: Termite is a household pest that feeds on woods and they are mostly attracted to unprotected buildings. When they bite humans, they cause swells and itches which result in allergies. Keep vents free, fix leaks, and inspect the house regularly.
- Stinging Insects: Examples are wasps and bees. They sting humans and cause allergies and skin swelling. These insects can enter through openings in your doors, vents, and cracks.
- Spiders: They are attracted to warm, moist, and dark areas. Although most of them do not bite, few can cause serious medical conditions that can lead to death when they bite. Use of spider catchers, removal of cobwebs, and monitoring help to control spiders in your house.