The concept of FMCW is not known to everyone since it is mostly a technological concept that only people from a particular field might be aware of. This is a unique kind of radar sensor that ensures there is continuous transmission power that radiates just the way a regular wave radar does. Frequency-Modulated Continuous Wave radar is what this type of radar is known as. Contrary to the radar of CW, the FMCW radar can change the operating frequency during the measurements. This means the modulation of the transmission signal in frequency is possible.
The role of FMCW:
Often when a continuous wave radar comes without any frequency modulation it can have a lot of drawbacks. It may not detect the target range due to the lack of time mark which lets the system detect the time correctly to do the transmission and get the cycle. That eventually makes it impossible to convent the radar in range. This reference of time is used for measuring the distance of the stationary object. However, it can also be generated with the help of the transmitted signal frequency modulation.
Under this process, the transmission of the signal would either decrease or increase the frequency. Right after the signal is received, the frequency change gets delayed. If it is a pulse radar, the runtime must be measured directly. But if it is FMCW, the radar is measured either in frequency or phases when there is transmission happening.
Benefits of FMCW Radar:
Those who are still wondering whether CW radar is the wise choice of FMCW is a great option must also have an idea of advantages that can be achieved if FMCW radar is used. Some of them are:
· Also popular by the name of altimeter, FMCW can be used for measuring the height above the earth in aircraft
· Such radar reduces the power at the time of transmission. It is possible to be supplied by different solid-state devices like BWO, reflex klystron, and magnetron to name some
· The architecture is based on the super-heterodyne concept. That is why it offers better stability and good sensitivity too.
· As compared to CW radar, the bandwidth is quite good.
FMCW radar features
Some of the features that can be worth are:
· It measures even the small range near the target. Usually, the minimal measured range is compared to the transmitted wavelength
· It can measure the target range simultaneously and the relative velocity
· The range measurement has the high accuracy
· It is possible to process the signal once the mixing is done at the low-frequency range. This can simplify the processing circuits realization
The awareness of FMCW needs to be done on a larger scale so people can use this alternative over the regular wave radar. The measurement system that works on the FMCW is quite fast and known for inhomogeneity identification in short-range applications. To be precise its fast detection ability makes it reliable.