Scalloped potatoes with layers and creamy, cheese-based sauce are a classic comfort food. Whether you plan to serve scalloped mashed potatoes at a dinner party, holiday gathering, or a simple weeknight meal, they are always a popular side dish. This article explores a classic scalloped potatoes recipe, which is suitable for all occasions.
Ingredients that You’ll Need
Gather all the necessary ingredients to create this deliciously creamy and cheesy treat.
For the Scalloped Potatoes
- Four large potatoes peeled (about 1/8 inch) and thinly cut.
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Parmesan grated cheese, 1 cup
- 3 cups heavy cream
- Three cloves garlic, minced
- Two tablespoons of unsalted Butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour all-purpose
- Use 1/2 teaspoon of salt or to your taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Fresh chives, parsley, and chives to garnish (optional).
Step By Step Instructions
1. Preheating your Oven
Heat the oven to 325degF or 175degC. Grease an 8×13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Add Flour to Roux
Add 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour gradually while whisking continuously, until a paste-like roux forms, then cook an additional 1-2 minutes or so until light golden coloration appears in your finished roux.
3. Gradually adding heavy cream
While whisking, slowly pour in the three cups of heavy cream. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens. This should be done in 5-7 minutes.
4. Season the Sauce
Season the cream sauce with 1/4 teaspoon black powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Taste the relish to adjust the seasoning. Remove the saucepan.
5. Potatoes layered
Place a layer of thinly sliced potatoes on the baking dish. The slices should slightly overlap each other. Sprinkle a portion each of shredded Parmesan and cheddar on top. Repeat the process, creating multiple layers.
6. Pour the Creamy Soup
Once the potatoes are layered with the cheese, add the creamy sauce. The sauce should seep into and around the potatoes, infusing them with flavor.
7. Bake to perfection
Cover your baking dish with foil and cook in the oven for 45 minutes. Then, remove the foil. Continue baking for another 20-25 minutes or until all the potatoes are tender.
8. Garnishing and Serving
You can sprinkle your potatoes with parsley or chives to add color and flavor. Allow for a minute of cooling before serving.
Enjoy Your Scalloped Potatoes
The result is a heavenly dish of layers rich in creamy cheese and tender potatoes. This dish is excellent for all occasions, whether it’s a holiday dinner or barbecue, a cozy family meal, or even a summer BBQ.
The classic scalloped potato recipe is always a crowd favorite. But you can be creative and personalize it to suit your taste. Consider these variations and tips:
- Add a Little Heat: Give the sauce some kick by adding a pinch of red or cayenne pepper.
- Experimenting: Parmesan cheese is an old standby, but you can experiment with other cheeses such as mozzarella, gruyere or Swiss to create new tastes and combinations.
- Herbs: Add flavorful herbs such as thyme, rosemary or nutmeg to your potatoes by infusing them with these flavors..
- Layer the Onions with the Potatoes: To add a subtle sweetness to the potatoes, thinly cut some onions and layer them in between.
Scalloped Potatoes are a favorite classic that is enjoyed at all times. This creamy, cheesy delight can be prepared for any occasion.