Soulful and serene, South Goa offers you a rich mix of exotic and sandy beaches, history-rich churches and temples, glimpses of Portuguese culture, delectable seafood, unspoiled greenery and an incredible romantic vibe. South Goa is known for its clean and secluded beaches, religious places, scenic drives and serene environment. You can come here and visit the sandy beaches as well as beautiful churches and temples. Places to visit in South Goa other then beaches, there are many places you can explore when visiting South Goa in January. Here are some popular destinations:
1.Bom Jesus Basilica – Symbol of Righteousness: If you want to spend some moments of peace then you can come to this famous church in Goa. This church is located in Old Goa. Here the relics of Saint Francis Xavier are preserved. This church is also known for its architecture. It is true that this is the oldest church in Goa, but still it has kept the attention of tourists focused on itself.
- St. Xavier’s Church in South Goa: It is one of the most visited places in Goa, famous as a major landmark for Catholics. St. Xavier’s Church is one of the oldest churches in Goa, constructed in 1605. In the church you can see the Gothic architecture. Although you can see a crowd of tourists in this church, but the birthday of Lord Ishu in December sees the maximum number of tourists here. Lord Ishu’s birthday is celebrated with great pomp here.
- Tambdi Surla Mahadev Temple in South Goa: One of the oldest temples in the region, the Mahadev Temple at Tambadi Surla dates back to the 12th century. The temple, as its name suggests, is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is surrounded by lush green vegetation. Another interesting fact about the temple is that it is built in the Kadamba-Yadava style of architecture, a style that you will not often find in Hindu temples in India. It is famous for Its intricate stone carvings and serene atmosphere.
- Bhagwan Mahaveer Wildlife Sanctuary: One of the major tourist and wildlife destinations of South Goa, the Bhagwan Mahaveer Wildlife Sanctuary is located on the Goa-Karnataka border. The sanctuary is spread over 240 sq km, where you can spot a variety of wildlife species and plants. The sanctuary is known to be the largest wildlife sanctuary in Goa and remains extremely popular among nature lovers. If you are planning to visit South Goa, then definitely include this place in your list.
- Sri Shantadurga Temple, South Goa: This temple is a symbol of 450 years old Indo-Portuguese civilization. If you only think that Goa has only churches, then you can see its beauty by visiting this temple. The main attraction of this temple is its 5-storey lamp tower. This temple is dedicated to Goddess Durga between Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu.
- Dudh Sagar Water Falls: Dudhsagar Waterfalls is a beautiful tourist destination situated on the border of South Goa and Karnataka state. Falling down from a 310 meter high mountain, this waterfall is surrounded by lush green trees and plants. The reason for calling It Dudh Sagar Falls is also that when this waterfall falls below the height of the mountains, it looks exactly like milk. Flowing down from the tropical forests, this Dudh Sagar Waterfalls presents a picturesque view to the tourists. This is the reason why this place is one of the major tourist places in South Goa.
- Palolam: Palolam is a beach resort located in South Goa, where golden sands and swaying palms add to the mesmerizing ambience. This area is known for trekking, dolphin recognizing, diving, silent disco, canoeing, turtle recognizing, and shopping. Noted for its stunning natural splendor, Palolem Beach is known for its crescent-formed shoreline, obvious water and peaceful atmosphere. It’s a good way to sunbathe, go swimming and revel in aquatic sports. Palolem Beach is among the the best places to visit in South Goa.
These are just a few of the many attractions in South Goa. The state offers a wide variety of attractions, cultural and natural heritage. South Goa can be secluded and peaceful or full of energy and excitement, depending on how you want to explore the place.