The best way to start your day is with a delicious omelette and a side of toast. If you are following a vegan diet primarily, you don’t have to miss out on the goodness of a great omelette. You only need to find the right plant based protein like the one from bGREENto prepare your omelette with. Here is one vegetarian omelette option that you probably never thought of.
Best Vegan Omelette Recipe
Here is a fluffy and delicious vegan omelette recipe that is very popular because of its nutritious filling and perfect texture. It is simple to make and is loaded with flavour as well. For this omelette, you will be using chickpeas as the plant based protein source.
Ingredients for the Omelette
- Soy milk- ¾ cup or 2 tablespoons
- Nutritional yeast- 2 tablespoons
- Turmeric- ½ teaspoon
- Paprika- ½ teaspoon
- Garlic powder- ½ teaspoon
- Onion powder- ¼ teaspoon
- Black salt- ¼ teaspoon
- Mustard sauce- 1 teaspoon
- Chickpea flour- 1 cup
- Vegan butter or coconut oil- For frying
Ingredients for the filling
- Coconut oil- 1 teaspoon
- Chopped onions- 1 medium
- Crushed garlic- 1 teaspoon
- White button mushrooms, sliced- 2 cups
- Soy sauce- 1 tablespoon
- Chopped tomato- 1
- Tofu/ Vegan cheese, broken into small pieces- ¾ cup
- To get started with this eggless omelette, heat some oil in a pan and saute the crushed garlic and onion. Add the sliced mushrooms, drizzle the soy sauce and saute till it is cooked well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and tofu and saute till cooked. This is your omelette vegetarian filling. Set it aside and allow it to cool.
- In a deep bowl, whisk the soy milk, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, paprika, turmeric, black salt, mustard and onion powder together to make a smooth sauce.
- Mix in the chickpea flour stirring gently to make the base for your chickpea omelette.
- Heat some coconut oil in a frying pan and pour the batter over it. Make sure that your eggless omelette is not spread too thin as it may break.
- Let it cook till the top begins to get dry.
- Spoon some of the fillings out and spread it on one half of the omelette. Allow the omelette to cook well before folding it in half. Press the omelette down to seal all the fillings inside the omelette.
- Your chickpea, tofu omelette is ready to serve.
Why Is It Good For You
This vegan omelette recipe is not only tasty but is also loaded with several nutrients:
- Protein: Ingredients like chickpea or any protein supplement powder like bGREEN plant protein, tofu and mushrooms increase the protein content of this vegan omelette significantly. With just one omelette, you can get up to 18g of protein. This is equal to an omelette made with 3 whole eggs.
- B-vitamins for vegans: Mushrooms are used as a filling in this vegan omelette recipe. They are an excellent source of B vitamins that are vital for processing macronutrients like carbohydrates and proteins.
- Great source of energy: A single chickpea and tofu omelette give you over 360Kcals of energy and about 35g of carbohydrates. Therefore, it is the perfect start to the day, keeping you feeling energised all morning.
This omelette vegetarian variation is also a blend of the most important nutrients to make a balanced breakfast. This includes proteins, vitamins, minerals and fibre. This eggless omelette is also versatile as you can change the flavours and spices according to your palate. Adding vegan cheese instead of tofu gives you that stringy texture with each bite and even makes the omelette creamier.
Other Vegan Omelette Bases You Can Try
Now that you know how to prepare a chickpea omelette, you can try the same recipe with tofu. To make a great tofu omelette, all you have to do is blend the ingredients together instead of mixing the flour in. You can also use cooked chickpeas to give your vegan omelette a unique texture.
When preparing the filling, you can experiment with several options. You can add vegetables like capsicum, cabbage and spring onions to bring out the flavour. There are other fillings like vegan sausages that go well with any vegan omelette recipe. If you want to spice it up, add some sriracha sauce or salsa to the filling just before you serve.
To make your vegan omelette, you can also use other non-dairy milk options like almond milk. You may also replace chickpea flour with an equivalent amount of bGREEN 100% Vegan Lean Plant Protein to give your metabolism a mega boost. Whatever alterations you make to the recipe, ensure that it does not interfere with the flavours of your delicious omelette. Serve the omelette with a side of toast, your favourite beverage or a fresh quinoa salad to give you the right hit of nutrients each morning.