In India, B.Tech is a professional engineering undergraduate degree awarded to students after the completion of 4 years of academic study. A BTech is a skill-oriented technical course that focuses more on delivering practical training.
A BTech course is different from a BE course, as the latter is more research-oriented with its curriculum. Industrial visits and internships are made a compulsory component of the B.Tech program.
JEE Main 2021 is a popular exam to fulfil the BTech dreams of an engineering student. But there are other entrance exams like WBJEE, UPSEE, and others to study BTech. Here, read further to know about some top BTech courses, the admission process, and many others after qualifying for JEE Main 2021 or any other equivalent entrance exam.
JEE Main 2021 – Popular BTech Specializations
The following are the various specialisations that are offered in India by B.Tech institutions after qualifying JEE Main 2021 or other entrance exams:
Top B.Tech Colleges in India
The top public institutions in India that offer engineering courses are the Indian Institutes of Technology and the National Institute of Technology. These colleges accept the JEE Main 2021 scores for admission to their engineering degrees. Apart from IITs and NITs, the top engineering institutes are as follows:
- Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra
- SRM University, Chennai
- Manipal Institute of Technology
- Dehradun Institute of Technology
- Petroleum University, Dehradun
What is BTech Admission Process
Engineering is one of the most sought-after career options for students in India. The competition to secure engineering seats in top colleges is fierce. Students take various examinations such as JEE Main 2021, JEE Advanced, BITSAT, AP EAMCET, etc., to secure admission. The exams are conducted on the basis of fundamental engineering concepts in line with the Class 12 syllabus. The students are screened based on their performance in the engineering entrance tests.
JEE Main 2021 and Other Top Engineering Entrance Exams in India
In India, technical programs like BTech come under the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) regulatory purview and the National Board of Accreditation. Admissions into BTech programs take place at the national level, state level, and institute level. The top engineering entrance exams that help students secure a seat in engineering colleges are as follows:
National Level Exams: These are eligibility exams conducted to screen students for admission to All India level Engineering Institutes. The private and state universities accept the score and rank secured in these exams. The top national level engineering entrance exams include:
- JEE Main 2021: It is a national-level engineering entrance exam conducted to shortlist students for BTech programs at the IIITs, NITs, GFTIs, and other top engineering colleges in India. It also acts as an eligibility test for the second stage i.e. JEE Advanced (for admission to IITs)
- JEE Advanced: The second stage screening test for students seeking to secure admission in the IITs. The top 2.5 lakh students from the JEE Main exam are eligible to take the JEE Advanced test.
State Level Exams: The state-level engineering entrance exams are conducted to secure admission into professional courses that state-funded government institutes offer. Some private institutes also accept state-level entrance exam scores as part of their admission procedure. Some of the state-level engineering entrance exams include:
- WBJEE: It stands for West Bengal Joint Entrance Exam. The students are screened for admission to undergraduate and postgraduate programs in the fields of Engineering, Technology, Architecture, and Pharmacy in the Government and the Government-aided Institutes.
- UPSEE: It stands for Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Exam. APJ Abdul Kalam Technical University conducts this exam for the students of Uttar Pradesh. The entrance exams are held for admission to courses offered by institutes affiliated with AKTU. Private engineering colleges also accept the exam score for admission procedure.
Institute Level Exams: Private Institutes have devised their own entrance tests to screen students for admission in engineering courses. Their respective institute conducts these exams, and it grants admission into its affiliated colleges. Some of the Institute level exams include:
- VITEEE: It stands for VIT Engineering Entrance Examination. The Vellore Institute of Technology conducts it to secure admission into BTech courses offered by the institute.
- BITSAT: It stands for Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test. BITS conducts this exam for initiating admission to BTech programs at BITS Pilani and its affiliated campuses at Goa and Hyderabad.
Eligibility Criteria for B.Tech
Besides qualifying exams like JEE Main 2021, BITSAT or WBJEE, students need to adhere to the basic eligibility requirement for admission in any B.Tech courses in India are as follows:
- The candidates should have passed class 10th along with 11th and 12th from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as core subjects.
- They should secure a minimum aggregate mark of 60% in the core subjects.
- The candidates who have joined Diploma courses after Class 10 or Class 12 in technical domains can also seek admission in B.Tech programs.
Students must note that the B.Tech eligibility criteria for the candidates differ from institute to institute.
Skills required for B.Tech
JEE Main 2021: Types of Job Profiles of B. Tech Graduates
The opportunities after graduating from top engineering colleges in India through JEE Main 2021 and other entrance tests are plenty. We have shared them in detail below.
- Computer Science Engineer
- Mining Engineer
- Civil Engineer
- Electronics and Communication Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Ceramic Engineer
- Automobile Engineer
- Construction Engineer
- Aerospace Engineer
- Aeronautical Engineer
- Software Developer
Top Recruiters of BTech Graduates
- TATA Consultancy
- Infosys Technologies
- IBM Global Services
- HCL Technologies
- Bain and Company
- Larson and Turbo
- Info Edge India Ltd
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd
Salary Package of BTech Graduates
The initial salary package for an engineering graduate is Rs. 30,000 to 40,000 per month based on the college’s reputation. Graduating from the NITs or IITs via JEE Main 2021 and JEE Advanced, one can earn between Rs. 15 – 20 Lakhs per annum. With experience, the graduates can hike their salaries further.
Further degrees like M.Tech can be an added advantage to boost the salaries further. Some students often go for PhD after completing Mtech and apply for Teaching roles at top universities and colleges.
A Btech degree also gives students an entrepreneurial mindset to start their own business. Here lies the advantage of studying in top colleges like the NITs or GFTIs through JEE Main 2021 or at BITS Pilani through BITSAT.
For all JEE Main 2021 aspirants and the ones who want to study engineering by taking other entrance tests, this article must have offered you all the information prior to BTech admissions. Do comment in the comment section to ask any queries, and we will be happy to reply soon!