How to Protect Your H-1B Green Card in Any Situation?

The H-1B visa is a non-immigrant visa that temporarily allows US companies to employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. To qualify, workers must have at least a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience. The H-1B Green Card is a permanent residency visa that allows holders to live and work in the United States indefinitely. 

To qualify, workers must have held an H-1B visa for at least six years and have an approved labor certification from the Department of Labor. The H-1B Green Card is also known as the Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

The importance of an H-1B Green Card

The H-1B Green Card is an employment-based visa that allows skilled foreign workers to live and work in the United States for up to six years. This visa is reserved for workers in “specialty occupations” that require at least a bachelor’s degree, such as engineers, scientists, and IT professionals. 

The H-1, B Green Card program was created to help US companies attract and retain highly-skilled workers worldwide. In addition to providing a path to permanent residency, the H-1B visa also allows holders to bring their spouses and minor children to live in the United States. As a result, the H-1B visa is an essential tool for attracting and retaining top talent worldwide.

How to protect your H-1B Green Card in any situation

If you have an H-1B Green Card, it is essential to know how to protect your status. Several things can put your Green Card at risk, such as losing your job, getting a divorce, or being convicted of a crime. 

However, there are also some ways to protect your Green Card, no matter what situation you find yourself in. For example, if you lose your job, you can apply for a change of status or an extension of your H-1B visa. If you get divorced, you can file for a waiver of the two-year residency requirement. 

And if you are convicted of a crime, you can seek advice from an experienced immigration attorney. By taking the time to understand the risks and the options available, you can protect your H-1B Green Card in any situation.

Typical scenarios where you might need to protect your visa

Depending on your visa type, you may need to take extra steps to protect it. For example, if you have a student visa, you must maintain full-time enrollment in an accredited institution. If you have a work visa, you must continue to work for the sponsoring employer listed on your passport. 

If you have a tourist visa, you must follow the terms of your stay, which typically include not engaging in any paid work. Violating the duration of your visa can result in deportation and other serious consequences. 

As such, it is essential to understand the requirements of your specific visa and take steps to ensure that you are meeting those requirements. If you are ever unsure whether you comply with the terms of your visa, it is best to consult with an immigration lawyer.

What to do if your visa is denied or revoked

You will need to leave the country immediately if your visa is denied or revoked. You may be able to reapply for a new visa, but you will need to submit further supporting documents and go through the interview process again. 

If your visa is revoked while in the country, you will need to meet with an immigration officer to discuss your options. You may be able to apply for a new visa or adjust your status, but you will need to demonstrate that you meet all the requirements. Depending on your situation, you may also be able to appeal the decision. 

If your appeal is successful, you can remain in the country and continue your plans. However, if your request is denied, you will need to leave the country and may not be able to return.

How to appeal a visa denial or revocation

One of the most challenging things to deal with is a visa denial or revocation. The first thing you should do is figure out why your application was denied. Once you have that information, you can start to put together your appeal. The next step is to gather evidence that supports your case for why you should be granted a visa. This could include documents like letters of recommendation or an invitation from someone in the country you are trying to visit. 

After you have gathered all the supporting materials, you will need to write a letter outlining your case and submit it to the appropriate authorities. If your appeal is successful, you will be granted a visa and be able to travel to your desired destination. However, if your request is denied, you will have to reapply for a visa and go through the entire process again.

How to get an H-1B Green Card

Gather the required documents

The first step is to gather all of the required documents. This includes your passport, birth certificate, educational transcripts, and proof of employment. Once you have all the required documents, you will need to complete an online application. 

After your application has been processed, you will be scheduled for an interview at a US consulate or embassy. During the interview, you must demonstrate that you meet all the requirements for an H-1B visa.

Complete the online application

Applicants must first submit an online application to the US Department of Labor. After the Department of Labor has approved the application, the employer must then file a petition with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services. 

If the petition is approved, the applicant can apply for a visa at a US consulate or embassy. Once the visa is granted, the applicant can enter the United States and begin working in their designated occupation.

Schedule your interview and attend your interview

A limited number of H-1B visas are available each year, and the demand for these visas often exceeds the supply. As a result, a lottery system is in place to award the visas. Workers who are selected in the lottery are then able to apply for an H-1B visa. 

Once they have been granted the visa, they can work in the US for up to three years. After that, they can apply for an H-1B extension, which allows them to stay in the US for an additional three years.

Call us!

If you have been denied a visa or had your passport revoked, don’t worry – Ruby Powers Law can help. We have years of experience assisting people in overturning visa denials and appeals. We know what to do to make your case stand out and increase your chances of being granted a visa. Call us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about our services.