Making sure that the ‘tires’ of your car are fine is essential for your safety. Take note!
Knowing how to correctly check the condition of your tires is a fundamental vehicle maintenance operation for road safety. The tires are the point of union between the car and the asphalt; therefore, that its adherence and grip are adequate can save your life. But despite this, many people forget to give their tires the attention they deserve; For this reason, today we want to remind you how to check the tires. Take note!
Here you can find the Milestar Patagonia MT Review
How to check the condition of the tires
When checking the tires, you must take into account, mainly, two parameters:
- The wear of your profile. The law establishes that the legal limit of tire tread has to be 1.6 mm, although a large number of experts say that this measure is low.
- Check tire pressure. Ideally, you should carry out this operation at least once a month.
Next, we delve into these two points.
1. Check the condition of the tread on your tires
Do you know what the depth of your tires is?
The first point that you should analyze when checking the condition of your tires is the wear of the tread. Here you should keep two things in mind:
- The condition and wear of the drawing and its depth (it should never be less than 1.6 millimeters; if it has reached the witnesses, it is necessary to change the tires immediately).
- The state of conservation and, of course, the expiration of the tyres: if your car has been parked on the street for a long time, and you have not used it much, keep in mind that it will have suffered sudden changes in temperature or humidity, which negatively affects to its state (it may even have crystallized). That is to say: the tire will have lost its grip and safety capacity. It’s time to change them.
Analyze possible irregularities in tire wear
Tread wear is not always regular; and if this happens, there is probably something wrong that you need to fix. If the tire wear is greater in the central area, on the shoulders or in irregular areas, you could be driving with inadequate pressure, a poor adjustment of the suspension geometry or shock absorbers in poor condition. If this happens, it will be time to change the tires and correct the problem.
How old are your tires?
Before mounting new tires, write down their manufacturing date and check them thoroughly when they are five years old. When they reach 10 years of age, you will have to change it: age does not forgive, and these rubbers no longer offer the same guarantees as when they left the production plant.
Don’t forget to check the spare tire
In the event of a puncture, having a spare wheel in good condition is essential to be able to continue driving in full condition. If you are going on a trip, check it out beforehand.
2. Check the tire pressure
This is how pressure influences tire behavior
One of the basic operations of car maintenance is checking the pressure of your tires. Keep in mind that tire pressure affects many aspects of the behavior of the vehicle:
If the tire pressure is too low, fuel consumption will increase and the car will behave in a lazier way.
If the tire pressure is too high, what will be compromised is the ability of the car to grip the asphalt, with the problem for your safety that this entails.
As you can see, checking the tire pressure is essential. At a minimum, you should do it monthly. I eat? It is a relatively simple operation, for which you only have to strictly follow the instructions of the manufacturer of your vehicle and adjust the amount of air in the chamber to the load conditions of the vehicle.
Check the balance and parallel of the tires
One of the important parts in the control and maintenance of tires is their balancing and paralleling. Doing it yourself is very difficult, so you will have to go to a trusted workshop. A poorly balanced wheel produces undesirable vibrations that can be very pronounced and annoying while driving and that, in addition, can end up creating problems in other parts by subjecting them to extra work due to their movement. Therefore, be sure to check the parallel of your wheels.