The Indian national team has participated in all the Summer Olympics since 1920. But it was the 2020 Olympics that changed the history of Indian sports. At these games, the national team included 126 athletes in 18 sports. The country’s performance was the best in the history of the Indian team. Athletes performed in a record 69 disciplines of eighteen sports.
Fans and bettors from India closely followed the performance of their athletes. The bookmakers did not expect such amazing results, so the odds for India in the Olympics were quite high. The most profitable quotes could be found in the line of BK Parimatch. It is an international bookmaker that operates legally in India and invites users to place bets from a PC or via the mobile app https://parimatch.in/mobile, in prematch and live.
2020/21 Summer Olympics Indian Medalists
The Indian national team brought seven medals from Tokyo – one gold, two silver, and four bronze. Gold was won by Niraj Chopra, who became the country’s first Olympic champion in track and field athletics. India was previously known in the Olympic Games for its ice hockey performance, as it earned eight gold medals in the sport. This result is higher than that of any other ice hockey team in the Olympics, with India boasting an incredible streak of six consecutive hockey gold medals in 1928-1956.
Niraj Chopra became India’s second gold medalist in the individual competition. The first personal gold for the country was brought by Abhinav Bindra in 2008, taking first place in the shooting.
In addition to gold, India managed to win silver and bronze:
- Saikhom Mirabay Chanu – weightlifter in the weight category up to 48 kilograms. The athlete won silver, this is the country’s second medal in weightlifting.
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya won silver in freestyle wrestling in the up to 57 kg category.
- Pusarla Venkata Sindhu won the bronze medal in women’s badminton. She is the first Indian athlete to win the Olympics two times in a row. She received a silver medal in 2016.
- Lovlina Borgohain is an Indian boxer who won the bronze medal in the 69 kg category.
- Bajrang Punia – won the Olympic bronze medal in freestyle wrestling in the 65 kg category.
- Bronze was awarded to the country by the men’s field hockey team. It is India’s first medal in the sport since 1980.
Other achievements of Indian athletes at the last Olympics
A new Asian record was set by Indian athletes in the men’s 4x400m relay. The women’s field hockey team showed good results. The national team finished fourth, the best result for India since the inclusion of this women’s discipline in the list of Olympic sports. Deepak Punia finished fourth in freestyle wrestling in the 86 kg category, as did Aditi Ashok in women’s golf.
The Paralympic Games 2020/21 were no less productive for India. The national team has been participating in all summer competitions since 1984. The Tokyo Games were the most successful for athletes. The national team brought back five gold, eight silver, and six bronze medals. Considering that Paralympians have previously earned a total of twelve medals in all Olympics, this is an amazing result.