Finding a good motel doesn’t have to be a chore in Auckland. There are many great choices for budget travellers, and you should be able to find something that fits your needs when you know what you’re looking for. You’ll want to look for properties with good ratings, reviews, and amenities that suit your needs. If you’re travelling with children, it’s also essential to find a motel that offers family-friendly amenities like playgrounds or swimming pools. Here are some tips for finding a good motel in Auckland.
- Motels are often called hotels in New Zealand, even if they don’t have a full range of facilities like you’d expect at an actual hotel.
- Motels tend to be cheaper than hotels and often have rooms rather than suites or apartments. The quality of your room will depend on how much you’re willing to pay. However—motel rooms can range from basic accommodation to luxury villas with all the mod-cons and views over Auckland Harbour.
- Many motels are located outside the city centre, so they’re easier on your travel budget—they’re also more peaceful and quiet than staying in town, where things get busier during peak hours.
In Auckland, you’ll find lower-cost motels in the $100 to $150 range, with higher-end options at $200 or more.
You can save some money by staying outside the city centre; however, reaching tourist attractions and public transportation can be challenging.
If you’re looking for a good, cheap motel, the question of which area of town is best to stay in may be on your mind. After all, there are several areas to choose from, and each has its advantages and disadvantages.
Downtown Auckland is located on the eastern side of the city and houses many attractions, including Parnell Village and Sky Tower—the tallest structure in New Zealand. It also has many hotels with rates ranging from $100 to $500 per night. The downside? Downtown Auckland tends to be crowded during peak seasons (December through February).
North Shore is located on Auckland’s northern coast; it’s known for its beaches like Mission Bay and Takapuna Beach Park, as well as being home to some great restaurants like Hell Pizza (a local favourite) or Fish Market Cafe & Restaurant (regarded by many as one of New Zealand’s best). Also known as “The Shore,” this part of town offers low prices compared with other parts of Auckland. Still, it has easy access via public transport thanks to buses that run regularly throughout the day from Northshore suburbs such as Devonport Village and Massey University Campus (Auckland University).
When booking a motel in Auckland, you should consider the following:
- Reviews: Check the reviews to get an idea of what other travellers thought about their stay. This will help you find a motel that has many positive reviews and few negative ones.
- Location: Look at the site of your potential hotels, as this can affect how much it costs and how long it takes to get there via public transportation (if available). You may want to look for motels near public transit stops or along major streets with frequent bus services to make getting around more accessible.
- Amenities: Most motels have free WiFi, but some may charge extra fees if you need access to it beyond a certain number of hours or days. Knowing these kinds of things before booking is essential so that you’re prepared financially if needed.
- Room size/price ratio: Some rooms are larger than others while still being priced equally. Make sure that when comparing prices between rooms side-by-side (such as two different queen beds), they contain similar amenities like the number of bathrooms shared between all three individuals staying there instead of just having one bathroom per person.
Motels are a great alternative to hotels and hostels, but you need to be careful with your choice, as not all motels are created equal. Here are some tips for finding the right motel:
- Read reviews online before booking.
- Consider the location of your motel.
- Do they have parking available?
The key takeaway is that there are many good cheap motels in Auckland. You just need to know where to look and what type of place you want. This guide would have given you some ideas on how to find the best deal for your trip.