Can Water Damage Hurt Your Health?

Whether it is a flooded basement or a leaky roof, water damage is a severe challenge you must address as soon as it occurs. Without professional intervention, the spinoffs of water damage can be severe. First, it threatens the integrity of your home or business, leading to property damage and expensive repairs. Moreover, water damage can lead to serious health and safety problems like allergic reactions and lung diseases that might be difficult to manage. As a property owner, you need to understand how water damage and mold can affect your health or employees’ and the intervention needed to restore normalcy after the damage.

How Can Water Damage Make You Sick?

The risk of health issues varies depending on the type of water damage. For instance, floodwater usually contains multiple toxins, including raw sewage, chemical waste, and pathogenic microbes. Handling such water without proper protective equipment can lead to conditions like dysentery, fever, and inflammatory diseases. The disease risk is even greater if the floodwater contaminates your drinking water.

Besides, the moist and humid conditions associated with water damage favor mold, mildew, and fungus growth. Mold exposure can lead to major health issues, including allergic reactions and respiratory diseases. As a property owner, you can avert these grave consequences of water damage by involving professional water damage restorers as soon as you notice a roof leak, burst pipe, or floodwater.

What Is the Likelihood of Mold Growth After Water Damage?

If you leave water damage unattended, however small it might appear, mold will start growing on your property within one to three days. Whether it is a toilet overflow, plumbing default, or flooding, you need to act promptly and bring in experienced water damage restoration professionals to handle the situation. Sometimes, controlling water damage without professional help might be an inefficient and costly move in the long term. 

The growth and spread of mold on your property is inevitable if you fail to act promptly after detecting water damage. Mold exposure can hurt the health of your family or employees leading to hefty spending on treatment. Therefore, you should avert the rapid growth of mold by acting quickly.

Can Mold From Water Damage Hurt Your Health?

Moist and humid conditions associated with water damage promote the growth and spread of mold in properties. Apart from damaging the surfaces and giving your home an ugly look, mold can make those exposed to it sick.

When you inhale mold spores, you can develop different respiratory tract disorders, including sneezing and a runny nose. Mold exposure can trigger disease exacerbation in those suffering from chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and chronic pulmonary airway disease. Some individuals, including those with compromised immunity, the elderly, and children, are at higher risk of developing mold-associated health concerns.

Physical contact with mold can induce allergic reactions like skin rashes and itchy, red eyes- conjunctivitis. Some molds produce dangerous toxins that can precipitate other health issues like insomnia, depression, and poor concentration. These issues emphasize the need to involve water damage restoration and mold remediation experts immediately once you encounter water damage.  

Can You Tell if You Are Suffering From Mold Exposure?

Most exposure incidents produce symptoms similar to those of the common cold or flu. Therefore, you should visit a doctor for an expert diagnosis if you suspect the symptoms are secondary to water damage to your property. The duration before symptoms of mold exposure begins manifesting differs depending on the exposure level.

The effects of mild exposure that occur when you encounter smaller amounts of hidden mold might be challenging to recognize, especially in immunocompetent individuals. It can take up to a few hours after the exposure before the symptoms appear. However, those with mold allergies usually begin showing symptoms immediately after the exposure.

Long-term exposure, where you are constantly in contact with mold spores, can cause serious health issues like difficulty breathing and fever. You need to remove mold from the property to prevent the long-term effects. Mental health disorders such as anxiety, depression, sleep disorders, and poor concentration can also result from long-term exposure to mold.