An interior designer applies science and creativity to make safe, and habitable spaces. The journey between walls and concrete to livable spaces is traveled by an interior designer. Interior designers are more than home decorators. From primary designing to renovation, an interior designer shapes the home with furnishing, fittings, colors, lighting, and structural alterations. They apply engineering and art to make the best use of limited spaces.
Gone are the days when the construction of a home began and ended with the elders directing the room space and bathrooms. Today, contacting a professional interior designer for expert guidance regarding the structure of your homes is an essential part of the process. Since most homes are a one-time investment, it is advisable to employ the best resources in their construction. Interior designers are skilled in spacing and understand the need of having beautiful, everlasting homes.
The Job Profile of an Interior Designer
An interior designer draws blueprints for homes to make them safe, functional, and beautiful. Through special assortments of essential inclusions, spacing, and material additions of elements in the room, the sole job of an interior designer is to make sustainable homes as per the need and requirements of the owner. The role and responsibilities of an interior designer vary with scale. Interior design colleges in Jaipur are especially skilled in programs that focus on this module of training. Although the eligibility and study remain the same; interior designers hired for huge projects like hotels and resorts are different from domestic designers.
The main responsibilities of an interior designer are:
- Understanding and streamlining the demands of the client.
- Sketching designs for the first draft and conceptualizing plans.
- Maintaining a direct line of communication with the client and taking in the feedback.
- Coming up with the best possible use of the limited space and making the client understand the same.
- Setting a strict timeline for project completion and understanding the requirements of the project.
- Developing solutions for design problems and building an effective game plan.
- Sourcing materials for the project and sticking to the outlined budget.
- Implementing the whole plan and delivering the project in time.
Type of Interior Designing Projects
- Commercial Projects: Retail shops, warehouses, recreational venues, gyms, hotels, pubs, cinemas, nightclubs, and theatres.
- Residential Projects: Homes, flats, residential buildings, and bungalows.
- Public Service Projects: Health and education industries, hospitals, schools, universities, parks, home centers, occupational stores, lodging areas, and treatment centers.
- Lifestyle Projects: Space-equipped furniture, custom home accessories, and on-demand lodging.
Eligibility and Career Path of an Interior Designer
You can become an interior designer through a degree/diploma course in this field. The criteria for enrolment in an interior designer course differs for each private institution. In many private institutions, you can enrol into the course soon after completing your 12th, whereas some institutions require a bachelor’s degree for enrolment. For example, CODE-VGU requires their applicants to have a 10+2 certificate for enrolling in their design programs.
Career scope of an Interior Designer
Interior designing now ranks amongst the top 10 career choices in recent graduates. The demand for an interior designer has never been higher. In between renovation projects and building new homes, an interior designer stays employed for the entire year. Talking about scope, we can see the trend of big brands preferring to hire the top designers and the interior design colleges in Jaipur have honed the art of producing the best. Even though the demand has risen, the market is still not saturated, which implies that this is the best time to become an interior designer.
The main sectors of employment for interior designers are:
- Construction companies: Construction companies employ interior designers to offer the complimentary service of designing. It is the largest sector of employment, and many graduates work with big teams on major residential and commercial projects.
- Architectural Firms: Interior designing firms provide bundled services and have a steady flow of clientele, which helps ease the practice for graduates. They are rather established in the field, which helps them retain employment for interior graduates.
- Event Management: Event management of temporary gigs requires an expert interior designer to deal with the critical and structural aspects of designing venues.
- Sets and Theatre: Theatre productions deal with interior changes and need an expert eye on the set.
6 Reasons why a Career in Interior Designing is right for you
1. You have a grip on maths and measurements: Interior designing sure sounds rosy and creative, but there’s a ton of technical work that goes into implementing designs in a limited space within the budget constraints. As an interior designer, you must be ready to brace all the boring work as well.
2. You are imaginative and creative: The most successful interior designers are those who can think outside the box and bring their creative ideas to life. It is an essential qualm of designing – to be creative and imaginative, but it is not something people can learn. It must be intuitive.
3. You value people’s opinions: You will not be living in the homes you design, which is why it is essential to design homes in a way that places their preferences first.
4. You have excellent communication skills: Being a pro in communication and understanding the demands of the clients and your boss is a top requirement in this profession.
5. You pay attention to the details: Being attentive and paying keen attention is highly valuable. If you are someone with a love for the details, then this job is right for you.
6. You keep up with the latest trends: Keeping up with the changes of styles and textures to make the best possible designs contributes to your success. Make sure you have it under the pulse, and you will excel as an interior designer.
An interior designer’s primary role is beautifying the spaces as per the wishes of their clients, along with keeping every technical requirement under purview. There’s an exploding scope for interior designers right now. So let your creative juices flow and design homes the way you have dreamt.